Parcul M Eminescu nou

Mihai Eminescu Park

Mihai Eminescu Park was opened in 1869, back then it was known as Varnav Public Garden. In its centre there is an artificial lake with two bridges and on the main alleys there are bust sculptures of the main cultural personnalities of Btoosani. The park still keeps a few trees which were contemporary to the Romanian national poet Mihai Eminescu. In 1932, the bust of Mihai Eminescu was placed here – it is a culpture of the artist Ion Georgescu, which used to be placed in front of Marchian school in 1890. On the artificial lake people can ride boats and water bicycles, and in the gazebo from the middle of the park the fanfare performs on holidays.

Casa Antipa semnata casa corpului didactic semnat Casa Ventura semnat

Ventura House/The Ethnography Museum/Popular School of Arts

Attested in 1872, Ventura House was built during 1845-1850 in Neo-Clssical style, with valuable Baroque architectural decorations at the interior that still preserve their original shapes (ladder, metal structures, stained glass). The house belonged to Grigore Ventura, Romanian writer and composer, father of the artist Maria Ventura. Recently refurbished, Ventrua House currently hosts the Ethnographic department of the County Museum and the Folk Arts School.

Casa Mem. N. Iorga

Nicolae Iorga Memorial House

“Nicolae Iorga” memorial house dates from the second half of the 19th century. It is in this house, built in Moldavian style, that the great historian Nicolae Iorga was born and spent his childhood. The house is an exceptional exhibition space, which retains a significant number of pieces with patrimonial value, related to the life and work of Nicolae Iorga. Original pictures of the family and of the great historian himself dating from several moments of his life, Dr Honoris Causa degrees received from famous educational institutions from Europe (Sorbonne, Cambridge, Rome) and a great number of books written by Nicolae Iorga, many of them in “princeps” edition, as well as newspapers and magazines that he editted and coordinated outline the extraordinary dimension of one of the greatest personalities of the Romanian and universal culture.

Bis Catolica semnat dorohoi-muzeul_de_stiintele_naturii_1

The Former Prefecture, the current Museum of Natural Sciences

The Former Prefecture, the current Museum of Natural Sciences is an architectural monument of local interest, situated on 43 “Alexandru Ioan Cuza” Street (Code LMI – BT-II-m-B-01970).

The baroque building dates from 1887, while the museum was set up in 1953 through the efforts of a group of professors. The building was designed by French architects to house the Prefecture of the former Dorohoi County.

The museum accommodates 17 exhibition halls, 9 of which are dedicated to Natural History exhibits, and 8 to galleries of contemporary art, within the Museum of Decorative Arts. These include paintings as well as glass and porcelain exhibits made in 1985 at the glass factory in Dorohoi.

The museum comprises natural exhibits from all systematic groups: minerals, plants, molluscs, fish, birds and mammals. The collection of rare exotic lepidoptera (butterflies) belonging to the pharmacist Wilhelm Weber, and the entomological collection belonging to professor Ioan Nemeș, considered to be the third in the country in terms of scientific value – including approximately 105,000 specimens of butterflies from all the regions of Romania, as well as from various areas of the world – are just a few of the exhibits.
The collection of autochthonous and exotic birds from Africa and not only, belonging to professor Rang Cătălin, can also be admired in this museum. Remarkable specimens such as the Horned lark, the Snow bunting or the Red-crested pochard can also be viewed.

Wonderful specimens of live exotic birds and fish, which give life to the entire natural setting of the museum, are also found among the exhibits.


Alexandru Ioan Cuza Street

On the Alexandru Ioan Cuza Street one can find the great majority of tourist objectives of Dorohoi City, many of them included in the national hritage: the former prefecture (today’s Museum of Natural Sciences), the Gheorghe Asachi Boys’ School (today’s City Library), Ciopec House, Prince Moruz house.