„St. Gheorghe ” church is the second oldest church still operating in Botosani City, after the church of Popauti (1496). It was erected in 1551 by Lady Elena, wife of Petru Rares, who was a regent for Stefan Voda, his minor child. The church was built upon of the model of Stefan cel Mare’s church in Popauti, bearing the form of a cross with a small tower in the middle and an entrance on the Northern side. It is a small-scale building, without many decorative elements and without any paintings. It is a typically Moldavian building, which resembles a lot St. Nicolae Church from Dorohoi.