St. Nicolae church was built in 1495 by Stefan cel Mare (Stephen the Great). The interior painting, which was made at the beginning of the 16th century, during the rule of Stefanita Voda, his grandson, is extremely valuable, as it represents a decisive point in the evolution of the mural painting of Moldova. Inside there is still kept a votive painting of the founders, paited in fresco: Stefan cel Mare and Lady Maria Voichita, Bogdan-Voda, their son, and Stefanita Voda. Particularly valuable is the frieze of Christ’s Passions, depicted on the 3 walls of the nave. The most notable scene of all is „Crucifixion”, painted under a brilliant monumental spirit, which is characterised by simplicity and archaism.