The first theatre performance in Romanian took place in Botosani in 1838. Around 1860 the first theatre was built, known as the ‘ Petrache Cristea Theatre „Botoşanii was thus among the first cities in the country who had theatre hall performances after model of the West, with stage, two rows of boxes, floor, orchestra and other accessories. In 1864 the thetre had as an employee and playwright the Romanian National poet, Mihai Eminescu. After 1885, because of the building damage, performances were taken to different locations. The current building of the theater was completed in 1914 by the architect Grigore Cerchez, in the eclectic style of the French school. This one can be compared by proportions and richness of ornaments to the National Theatre of Iasi. On Aprilie 8, 1944, the beautiful building of the Mihai Eminescu Theatre was partially destroyed by bombing, and then it was radically transformed between 1956 to 1958, when rebuilt, so that the old composition can not be identified. In September 1958, the new Theatre „Mihai Eminescu” was inaugurated.