Oneaga Hermitage was founded in 1780 by Lord Steward Neculai Cristescu. The place where it was built used to be called the Monastery Hill, probably due to an old monastery that had been long lost. In 1863, the church was dismantled and reassembled in Vanatori village, from Botosani County. On the location of the old monastery there remained only the Holy Mass, made of stone, and the cemetery. The new church of Oneaga Hermitage was consecrated in 1999.